The history of New Hope Baptist Church is rich with the blessings of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who has led us each and every step of the way. Christ has blessed us with the able and fruitful leadership of the following pastors who have served New Hope for over 80 years: Rev. W.H. Hughes, Rev. F.W. Watkins, Rev. S. Woods, Rev. J.E. Thomas, Rev. R. Presley, Rev. J.E. Pettyway, Rev. A.Paul Jones, Rev. Wendell Burnett and our current pastor, Rev. Gary W. Young.
In 1925, New Hope became the second black Baptist Church in Sacramento after Shiloh Baptist Church. New Hope met in the home of the Rev. Hughes until 1926 when the church purchased a building at 20th Street and Burnett Way. They worshiped there for 23 years until 1949, when Rev. J.E. Pettyway led the move from the 20th Street and Burnett Way to the 21st and X Street building.
In May of 1955, Rev. A. Paul Jones was called from his pastorate in Oroville, California to serve the New Hope Baptist Church. By 1956, the mortgage of the 21st and X Street facility had been paid in full. On December 19, 1965, the New Hope congregation marched into our newly constructed church located on its present site, 3100 32nd Street in the heart of Sacramento’s Oak Park.
On March 16, 1975, the New Hope social hall was named the “Minnie Mikes Hall” in memory of charter member, Minnie Mikes, who was recognized for her generous bequest to New Hope and for 40 years of loyalty and faithfulness to the church. New Hope opened its doors for over 25 years to allow the Texas based Conroe Industrial College to utilize its facilities for the Sacramento branch classes. The Rev. A. Paul Jones was the primary instructor. After his death, the Rev. Samuel Mullinax and Mrs. Lottie Harris became the instructors.
In 1978, New Hope was blessed to witness the burning of the mortgage as well as the purchase of the house next to the church. The family of the late Mrs. Estelle Brent donated the wrought-iron fence (12th Avenue side) in her memory. The late Adel Nelson donated the first cold water fountain for the vestibule. Brother Herman and Sister Mattie Sanders and family donated the drapes that hang in the front of our baptistery. There were other physical improvements during this time and the number of church ministries increased from two to twenty-seven. Those ministries included seven missionary groups, three usher boards, five choirs, a new membership committee, Leadership Conference, Foreign Mission, Witnessing the Feeding Program and the First Aid Ministry.
On September 13, 1984, Pastor A. Paul Jones was called to rest and in March of the following year, Rev. Wendell Burnett was installed as our new leader. In the same year, the church library was dedicated in memory of our former pastor and named the Rev. A. Paul Jones Library. In May 1986, the Annual Benevolent Home Mission Day was established to fund the benevolent committee ministry.
In 1989, New Hope remodeled and expanded our women’s restroom facilities on the south side of the vestibule, and added the nurses’ aid station and ushers area on the north side of the vestibule. A conference room was added for the use of the deacons and other ministries. This remodeling was made possible by the generous monetary donations of Deacon Coleman and Sister Belle Erving as well as many other members. Our church has been blessed to be able to give back to the community through the United Negro College Fund, the feeding program, the clothes closet, the rest home ministry, and Juvenile Hall outreach.
New Hope assists our high school and college graduates through the Board of Christian Education Scholarship Funds and our church annually supports the foreign mission program to help those abroad. In August 1992, the church added the Minister of Education staff position and hired the Rev. Gary W. Young to direct the Christian Education Programs at our church. The Sunday School, the Youth of a New Generation, the Women United for Christ, the Christian Married Couples Retreat and the annual Women’s Prayer Retreat thrived during Pastor Burnett’s tenure.
After the home going of our beloved Pastor Wendell Burnett, a year long search ensured to reveal the new leader that the Lord had provided for us. In December, 2003, the church overwhelmingly moved to affirm the call of Rev. Gary W. Young, as our new shepherd. Pastor Young was installed on February 29, 2004. Since that time, New Hope has moved forward in many areas.
The Educational Wing has been dedicated and named in honor of Rev. Wendell Burnett, the clear and driving force behind its completion. A scholarship fund has also been established in the name of Pastor Wendell Burnett. The Sunday School has added new classes and members and yet there is room for more growth. We look forward to filling all of the new classrooms with children and adults eager to study the Word. A counseling ministry, responsible for welcoming and talking with new converts and potential new members of the congregation, has been established. The counseling ministry also leads evangelistic outreach in the community. Over the years, New Hope has added many new members, with a number of them coming by way of Baptism.
A Praise and Worship Team, responsible for leading the congregation to a place and time of worship, has been created. The team is active every Sunday morning. The Voices of New Hope minister virtually every Sunday while the Angelic Voices of Hope, Voices of Grace and Men's Chorus minister on special occasions.
The Leadership Conference has continued with much success with each of the ministry leaders meeting together once a month to report on progress and benefit from instructions on effective leadership skills. Each ministry is responsible for establishing goals and objectives which center around the five purposes of the church established in the book of Acts. Every year, each ministry is asked to emphasize a specific evangelistic/outreach goal complete with a clear and measurable plan of action. The ministry heads meet on a regular basis as the official church board and church business meetings occur once quarterly.
Two additional deacons have been ordained The Trustee Board has developed a decentralized plan to increase its effectiveness in conducting the church’s business. Each trustee serves on at least one of five committees: finance, building maintenance and operations, personnel, facilities planning and informational technology. Under Pastor Young, New Hope has added additional ministerial staff & seeks to add additional staff so as to meet the varied demands of kingdom ministry in this present day.
Over the years, additional ministries have been added. WHope is a ministry designed to involve men and women from the ages of 20 to 50. In addition to regular Bible study, WHope is involved in the Community Outreach Ministry and other efforts to reach out to our community. Phoebe Women’s ministry is open to all women and, like WHope, it enjoys a regular Bible study and community outreach. Another ministry in our church is the Senior Adult Ministry which is growing rapidly. New Hope seniors enjoy fellowship and study together on a monthly basis.
A Quilting Ministry, with the objectives of fellowship and outreach, has also been added. A Greeters Ministry has been added with the expressed purpose of formally welcoming visitors and greeting everyone who comes through our doors on Sunday morning. New Hope now has a fully operational web site (www.newhopebc-sac.org) which includes news and information about the church’s ministries as well as links to Bible study aids, photo gallery, calendar and an invitation to contact us.
New Hope looks forward to a major annual outreach known as Community Fun Day. This all day event is held on our parking lot and it offers our neighbors a chance to meet us and it offers us a chance to share Christ and serve the community. There are games, music, health services, food, prizes and many other activities.
New Hope has embraced a vision a mission statement proclaiming that we are the Great Commission church where Jesus is glorified, disciples are multiplies, saints are edified and the Kingdom is magnified. We are truly about the King’s business, until the King comes.
May the Lord be praised for over eighty years of service to Him and to our community.